Thursday, September 20, 2012

First Full Week

I survived my first week! Just barely though, I'm sick right now. =( But I will get better, it's just a cold.

I love it here. Everything is so fairy-tale-esque. The houses are on the smaller side and built a long time ago. Everything is cute and cozy. There are so many trees and green fields. It's just what I wanted.

Emma and Victoria are so cute. They speak Danish with a random English word thrown in every now and again but luckily I can usually understand them. Not all the time though, those times I just smile and nod. =) They have both wanted me to put them to bed in the past week and it went very well. With Emma I attempted to read Cinderella in Danish. That was tricky, but I don't think Emma noticed. She was too busy trying to cover up the words with her foot. Victoria always wants to watch makeup tutorials on youtube. It's so funny. She is amazed by the makeup. One night though, she wanted to watch 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star' so we watched it four times in a row and then she said that it was time to sleep. They are adorable. In the morning, before I get up, I can hear Victoria asking when I am coming out because she wants to play with me.

Klaus and Nicoleta are so sweet. They have made me lasagna, because I told them it was my favorite food, and many other delicious foods. We made hot dogs for the Egeskov trip and it was so interesting the way they made them. They buy pizza dough, which comes in a rectangle, and they cut it, put ketchup on it and wrap a piece around a hot dog. Then they bake it. It is delicious, and so easy to make. Every night after the children go to bed we watch tv or stay up talking until we're tired. It's quite fun.

I went to church on Sunday and it was good. I was a little nervous that I might sit alone or not understand anything, but that was just silly. Right when I walked in, a ton of people introduced themselves to me and told me to sit near them and they were all just really sweet. I ended up sitting next to the sister missionaries and the one translated for a bit, but I could understand some of it. Then in Sunday school they did the lesson in English for me. Relief Society was where I first spoke Danish and I got a lot of compliments on my Danish, even though I think it's gotten rusty. Everyone was so nice and a couple of people said they could give me rides to and from church and I got invited to go to the center on Tuesdays, which is institute.

Institute was a lot of fun. It was nice to meet more people my age and they were all really nice. During class though, this one boy said he would translate for me, and he spoke so loudly! It was so embarrassing. I felt like everyone was looking at me and the worst part was that he made it hard for others to hear the teacher. So when I got an opportunity, I told him that I think I could figure it out and I wanted to try to understand and thanked him for helping. Which is what I should have said in the beginning because that's what I wanted but I didn't want to tell him no when he was being so nice. After class, we all ate dinner together and then had FHE. After FHE we played this game called Crud on the pool table. It was so much fun! I hope I can become really good friends with everyone there.

8 comments:

  1. You are having the kind of experience I prayed you would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is SO awesome!! Sounds amazing!! and just your kind of place! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! I'm so glad you are liking it. And I liked Dad's comment of praying for you. Leave it to moms and dads to pray for their children. It makes me happy that they're praying for you! :)

    I love you and am so happy you're already having so many fun experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! The center is the best. I loved going to the one in Munich. Make sure to bug the locals to take you around! Are there other Americans/English speaking people at the center (besides translator-boy... is he a local?) So happy you're happy. And don't be sick anymore, mmk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The year is going to go by very fast. Enjoy every minute of it. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - Uh yeah there are some very attractive guys. I'll be sure to let you know if anything happens with them.

    Mikell - Everyone there speaks English very well but I'm the only American. There's a Spainard, a Swede, and someone else learning Danish but that's it. Translator-boy is a local.

    Everyone - I love you and thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crud is a fun game! I'm glad that you are having fun! I love you! =)

    ReplyDelete